Friday, June 16, 2006

Justin's credibility

There's a lot that can be said on the importance of "enhancement talent" or "jobbers" in the pro wrestling industry. While not as prevalent it once was, the role of enhancement talent is simple: make the star you're wrestling look like a star by getting squashed in a quick match. Sure, these days you don't see too many generic Barry Horowitz-types; rather, jobbers in WWE tend to have a "known" name or some kind of gimmick a la the Brooklyn Brawler (you're fooling yourself if you think Scotty 2 Hotty or Visera is anything BUT a jobber when wrestling singles matches these days... and there's nothing wrong with that -- you NEED the audience to believe in your stars, and having them go over identifyable opponents is one way to do so).

While I kid that Justin Credible is nothing more than a jobber, I do believe that the way he was used on ECW's SCI FI debut was poor due to its sheer laziness, thus making him look more like a jobber than, say, someone ECW was interested in pushing. That being said, note this newsbit from Jeremy Botter's latest Inside Pulse column:

- The squashing of Justin Credible by Kurt Angle wasn't done to demean Credible in any way; it was simply done to make Angle strong out of the gate. Credible will be a part of a new Impact Players faction, and it's been noted that his strong friendship with Triple H and Shawn Michaels will put him in a good political position to get a good shot at showing what he can do.

Let me ask ECW's bookers one question: if you didn't mean to demean the character, and expect to do big things with him down the road -- friends with DX or not -- how do you even put him in the position of looking as weak as he did against Kurt Angle on Tuesday? I'm not saying I think Justin should have won. And I'm not saying that he should have gotten in more offense vs. Angle. Kurt is an animal in the ring and needs to come across as invincible right now, and Justin pushing him to the limits just wouldn't have seemed... credible. But here's the rub on Justin: he shouldn't have been in that match in the first place.

All reports are saying that the ECW show ran short, which is why they added the footage of Lawler vs. Tazz at One Night Stand into the broadcast. Didn't someone backstage realize that maybe everyone would have been better served if Angle squashed, say, Al Snow or Danny Doring or even a no-name jobber, while Justin either did the same or was given a promo package/interview segment that could establish his character to the newbies, showing some highlights from ECW's tape library? I know, things were done on the fly on Tuesday, and changes made at the last minute by seemingly too many cooks; they likely didn't even know the show would run short until all of the supposed editing was done. But that isn't enough for me: I'm a demanding wrestling fan!

So that's my big concern. And I'll keep goign back to the theme of time management, looking at a longer-term big picture, and better utilizing old footage... Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch from where I sit.

3 Comments:

Blogger cb said...

I think my issue is that ECW just does not seem to work without it's own fans and its own smaller arenas. Having it done before or after Smackdown definitely gives off an impression of the ECW brand as a Heat/Velocity type of throw-in ...

Forget Justin Credible, ECW got squashed last week

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of the ones that thought his ECW title reign wasn't "credible." However - they have Danny Doring on the card to squash :p

But yeah, I'd put Credible's title reign on par with Steve Corino's :p Glad he's not back.

This is reminding me of ECW on TNN all over again.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

c.b. makes an excellent point. ECW did get squashed. I will never eeeeeeeever understand Vince's ego. He bought ECW, he won! There's NO competition from ECW because, well, he freaking OWNS it. It's not like it's occupying a time slot going against Raw or Smackdown, and I doubt there's people that say to themselves "well, I'll allow myself one wrestling program a week - I better choose one or the other."

I made a joke to my friend before this year's ONS. I said something to the effect of "ECW's rabid audiences are like 50% of my enjoyment of the brand. If you take them away, I'm about as interested in ECW as I am Raw." And then, when Big Show was "signed" by Heyman, I said "okay, there goes another 25%. It's at Smackdown levels now."

Still quite aways away from sinking to impact level, though :O

Oh, and Justin Credible's association with "the clique" is making me nervous. Move him to RAW and have him join DX - I wouldn't care. But if he stays in ECW, there's a chance he'll join DX anyway, and we'll have more Raw stuff on ECW.

They did a better job of seperating Raw and Smackdown than they're doing here.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home